Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Do we really believe this...?

One of the classic books on prayer is one by O. Hallesby called Prayer. In it he writes: "The work of praying is prerequisite to all other work in the kingdom of God, for the simple reason that it is by prayer that we couple the powers which can turn water into wine and remove mountains in our own life and in the lives of others, the powers which can awaken those who sleep in sin and raise up the dead, the powers which can capture strongholds and make the impossible possible."

My guess is we're all nodding in agreement with that paragraph. Intellectually, we believe that about prayer. Practically, however, few of us really believe there's that kind of power in prayer. If we did, we'd pray a lot more than we do.

These days I'm trying to narrow the gap between the intellectual and the practical. I'm trying to live more like "it's all up to God" so I better pray like crazy, and less like "it's all up to me and my giftedness" so I better work my tail off.

Comments?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home