Monday, January 29, 2007

Take a holiday...pray!

I stumbled on a great quote I'm going to use this weekend on prayer. Simon Tugwell writes: (in prayer) "God invites us to take a holiday, to stop being God for awhile, and let him be God...We can stop doing all those important things we have to do in our capacity as God, and leave it to him to be God."

As one who took a holiday (vacation) from Dec. 26-Jan. 4, I can say that holidays are good things. We got away for nearly 2 weeks and did NOTHING! We had no TV, no phones, no computers, and no worries. I had no sermons to write...no emails to return...no "water issues" or other issues to solve...no staff to manage...no meetings to attend.

Tugwell's point is that prayer is like a holiday. It's me stopping long enough to remind myself that I'm not God. The weight of the world is not on my shoulders. Prayer is me turning over to God the things that I cannot handle or change.

I invite you to join me right now and take a holiday...pray!

1 Comments:

Blogger Humble Pie said...

Great series Pastor Phil!

I assess my prayer life by the phrase "Hey Humble - How's your internet connection?"

When I'm at a dial up level it takes a LONG time for me to get connected. There is a lot of noise during the process - and about half the time - even after 15 minutes and several attempts - I never DO get connected. Once connected - I often get 'bumped off' the line. (Usually due to something like a phone call)

But when I'm on a high speed Line the connection is quick and reliable. Just a few seconds and I'm there. The speed and interaction is fast. The line is secure and RARELY gets disconnected.

It's kind of a silly analogy I know.

I wish I could ALWAYS be on a high speed connection with God (The times that I've connected that way have been amazing) - but like most folks - there are PLENTY of times that I struggle along with my dial up!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home