Monday, February 05, 2007

Why I won't write a book on prayer...

There are 2 main reasons why I'd never write a book on prayer:

1. Because I'm still a novice at prayer after being a Christian for over 30 years.
2. Because I can sum up the key to prayer in 1 word--commitment. I'm not sure a 1-word book would sell very well. People would scan the 1-page, 1-word book at Borders and not have to buy it.

Those who devote themselves to prayer do so because they're committed to prayer. They stay at it regardless of how they feel, regardless of how busy they are, and regardless of how angry or upset they get toward God.

If absolute commitment isn't there, we will give up on prayer. I want to have the same commitment to prayer that Daniel had in the Bible (see Daniel 6). When Daniel was told to stop praying to God and start praying to the king (or die), he went home, opened the windows and prayed to God AS USUAL (vs. 10). Daniel had a thing going with God. Nothing got in the way. That's where I want to be some day. When I get there, maybe I'll write the book, afterall.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pastor Phil Print said...

Thanks for your comment, deni. Blog away!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Belle_South said...

Okay. I just want to thank you for using the prayer-sometimes-feels-like-flossing-your-teeth analogy in your sermon.

That's how I feel about reading many sections of the Bible (and the Christian blogging community gasps out loud.) Intellectually, I know God has reason to include every word, but sometimes I'm reading the Bible and I hit those slower books and there's stuff about history and geography and geneology and then I s l o w d o w n ... like when I'm sitting in a waiting room reading "Smithsonian" when what I really want to do is pick up "Star Magazine" and find out who's got cellulite on their ankles ... and I cheat and skip over to the fun books. Like Genesis. Exodus. John. Psalms. Acts ... I mean, there are holy fireworks shooting around in Acts!

Maybe this is related to a Christian's gifts; maybe Bible study is easier for teachers, hospitality easier for helpers, prayer easier for prophets. Maybe everyone has areas that feel like floss.

Anyway, it's refreshing to hear a pastor admit these things.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Pastor Phil Print said...

belle, you're pretty normal. I told our staff today that some day I want to look forward to praying as much as I look forward to playing racquetball. The same could be said for Bible reading. I agree--some sections of the Bible aren't exciting--just like some meals I eat. But I keep eating because I know it's good for me. Thank YOU for YOUR honesty. And...don't forget to floss.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Belle_South said...

Yeah, well, at least you like to exercise. Some of us would rather eat cheesecake.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home