Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Struggling with 1 Samuel 15

This weekend at Crossroads I'm preaching on Saul's sad life (one of the greatest train wrecks in the Bible). One of the commands he disobeys is found in 1 Samuel 15--essentially he's to go and totally wipe out the Amalekites, men, women, children, babies, and livestock. The command was clear, yet (in our minds) cruel.

Again, we struggle with the "God of the Old Testament." How do we interpret or deal with a passage like this? It it hyperbole? Not in my opinion. Did God make a mistake and lose his temper? Not in my opinion. Did God really want them ALL destroyed? I believe he did. I believe God meant what he said. The problem is it's impossible for us to see things through God's eyes. For example:

Do we fully grasp God's holiness and justice? How much God hates sin? Do we have a clue how wicked the Amalekites were? That they burnt their children in front of statues of Molech, their idol? That their religion goes down in history as perhaps the most depraved known to mankind?

And do we fully grasp God's patience? He has put up with this vile nation for hundreds of years. This is no "blow-a-fuse" act of God. He's given them plenty of time to repent. Sin ultimately will be punished. Perhaps it was the Amalekites day of judgment.

Finally, do we fully grasp God's mercy? Yes, he commanded innocent children and babies to be killed...but perhaps that was an act of MERCY. No, I haven't gone mad. Think of the corrupt culture those babies/children were being raised in. Think about many of them being sacrificed (burned) to the idol Molech. And remember that children up to a certain age are not held responsible for their sins. Hmm. Maybe this command was an act of mercy--taking those children out of their godless environment to their eternal home in heaven. Maybe this was their only chance/hope of heaven.

Something to think about. I've blogged on this topic earlier. Scroll down for more of my ramblings and feel free to add some insight of your own.

3 Comments:

Blogger Humble Pie said...

Am I like Saul???

Here's what REALLY scares me about I Samuel. And here's what REALLY scares me about the story of Saul.

I Samuel 16:14
I samuel 18:10
I Samuel 19:9

ALL indicate that God sent an "evil Spirit" to torment Saul. I can't brush this aside. Did God REALLY send an evil spirit? Why? Is there a possibility that God will torment me?

Saul sinned: I Samuel 15:9
He then repented: I Samuel 15:24-25

Can God's "Love" really be so fragile? Saul made a mistake - he didn't kill EVERYONE. And he repented. Yet God not only rejected Saul and his apology - he sent evil spirits to torment him...

This is perhaps the most troubling story in the ENTIRE Bible for me.

Will God reject me for my mistakes?
Will God reject my apologies?
Will God torment me with evil spirits?
Will God choose another to replace me? A BETTER person?

This is one doozy of a story Pastor Phil....I look forward to hearing your take!!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heloooo bloggers!! my name is Brittany Ruchin and im from Flamingo Road church, and my church and i would greatly appreciate it if you can check out The Gift Revolution.com and i promise you will enjoy it!! it will change you forever!! so please please check it out and hey tell your friends!!!

4:14 PM  
Blogger rosy said...

Well I am also from Flamingo Road Church and once more I encourage you all to go get and check out www.TheGiftREVOLUTION.com and get inspired to change the world in 25 days!!!!!=)

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home