Tuesday, January 17, 2006

24...the heart/mind deposit

As promised, I want to take a few minutes to give you some practical helps in reading/ reflecting/responding to the Bible. Here's a method I've been using to study the Bible for over a decade. It's summed up in 3 letters: O, I, A. I take a short passage from the Bible and ask 3 questions:

O stands for observation. Here I ask the question: What's being talked about? Overall, what's the subject or theme in this text (try to write it down in a sentence)? If I'm in Psalm 23 maybe I would conclude it's "God's care for His people".

I stands for interpretation. Here I ask: What's being said (specifically) about that subject? Again, in Psalm 23 I'd specifically write down how God cares for His people: He restores, refreshes, guides, protects, etc.

A stands for application. Here I ask: How does all of this apply to my life? Back to Psalm 23, maybe I'm dealing with some fears and maybe I need to claim the promise of Ps. 23:4 (dealing with God's closeness and protection). In my journal I'd write down what I was afraid of and then write out a prayer incorporating Psalm 23.

Hope you try the O-I-A approach. It's a winner. In fact why don't you try it today or tomorrow and use Psalm 23 as your text.

I'm also curious how you're doing with the 6-9 am morning practices we talked about last weekend. As promised I prayed for everyone who said they were going to try the practices out (that means I prayed for over 300 of you). Awesome!

Pastor Phil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home