Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Giants of Life

I was totally overwhelmed by this past weekend. After speaking on the David/Goliath story, I asked the main service crowd to identify the "giant" in their life that they need to face. We wrote them down on cards. Hundreds were submitted. Hundreds.

As our staff read over the lengthy list, we were humbled and (frankly) stunned. We have a lot of struggling, hurting people at Crossroads. I guess that shouldn't surprise me. It goes with the territory. It was the number of people wrestling with alcohol, anger, debt, marriage, addictions, loneliness, and depression that got us.

I am grateful, though, for the openness of our church. We have a climate at Crossroads where it's OK to admit our imperfections and ask for help. Today our Prayer Team and Staff prayed over every entry on every card. We prayed for David-like courage to confront that which keeps us from becoming the people God wants us to be.

I am also planning on putting a message series together from the list. A series on facing our fears or a series on getting rid of unwanted "baggage" or ??

As we finished praying over the list, we were all exhausted. The good news is that the One we prayed to wasn't. God is bigger than any giant in our lives. Claim that truth. Move forward boldly. Do whatever has to be done.

I'm proud of you all.

4 Comments:

Blogger busy-mom said...

I really enjoyed your message this weekend & I am proud of the fact that we all, as a church family boldly wrote down our fears & giants. I will tell you that I am very excited to hear that you will be preparing a message series in regards to some of these...God IS bigger than any of our giants and sometimes it is so easy to lose sight of that when we feel so overwhelmed, but after hearing your message this weekend & having the opportunity to "release" some of that baggage on the pink slip I have to say, each time I am reminded about my giants your words and the Lords loving Grace speaks volumes to me! Thank you for another great message!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Belle_South said...

I agree, Busy-mom. Saturday's service was outstanding. A memorable message (the height graphics really helped.) Terrific music - can we recruit that electric guitar guy? The way the Casting Crown song amplified the message.

I dunno - maybe the Crossroads staff should lower the bar. According to my Baptist background, it's supposed to hurt a little bit to go to church or else you don't earn any points in heaven. That's why Baptists play organ music.

2:47 PM  
Blogger busy-mom said...

HA! Your funny belle_south! I agree with you too..the music was awesome, is there ever a time it's not? As for the organ music..oh, please no! I am so happy not to have that routine anymore-our church rocks!!!
As for hurting a little bit: in my case getting our kids & ourselves ready & in the doors on time can sometimes qualify under that! And if thats the case then I am so in with the brownie points! (hee hee)
Poor Pastor Phil, he is probably wondering if I really do listen-I promise I do!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Humble Pie said...

No Way Pastor Phil!! You talked about professional wrestling AND showed pictures of the Punjabi Warrior The Great Khali??

And I wasn't there??

I'll never skip Church again!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home